DOJ Wants Supreme Court to Hear DOMA Cases
BY Michelle Garcia
July 04 2012 1:15 AM ET
Lambda Legal staff attorney Tara Borelli said its clear to her clients, her organization, and the DOJ that the so-called Defense of Marriage Act's days are numbered.
"The last four courts to consider the question have all found Section 3 of DOMA -- which prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex couples' valid marriages -- to be unconstitutional. DoJ's action may speed the day when the Supreme Court reaches the issue. Lambda Legal and Morrison & Foerster stand ready to argue for fair treatment for Karen Golinski and her spouse, Amy Cunninghis, in any court, at any time, and we welcome this opportunity to finally put DOMA out of its, and our, misery."
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Gallery of Geek: J. Bone
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples