What to Do When an Ex Trashes You Online
BY Eric Mueller
August 10 2011 4:00 AM ET
Keeping your reputation intact on the Internet can be tricky business. Even if your ex’s blog has just one human reader, Google, Bing, Yahoo! et al. will still scour it and dutifully index every character attack, making those remarks no more than a few keystrokes away from your family, employer, or even your next date. Google won’t help: While it will remove illegal and confidential personal info from its indexes, it’s hands-off with everything else.
The secret to getting rid of negative information on the Internet isn’t removing the material. Remember that few bother clicking past the first page of search results. If you generate a flurry of positive content that ranks higher in search engines than the negative material, you effectively push the rep-busting links far enough down that they won’t be seen.
There are three ways to quickly create material to help restore your reputation. The first is setting up your own website with your name as a custom URL; use About.Me to easily create a simple page with your name and a brief bio and photo.
Next, register for LinkedIn, Flickr, Ning, and Twitter. These sites let you set up a public profile page, and because they’re large, established sites, search engines rank their results highly. (Facebook also ranks highly, but you don’t want your page open to the world.) Third, start a blog with Blogger, Tumblr, or WordPress; these sites are also ranked highly by search engines, so your blog posts will be as well.
Finally, sign up for Google Alerts, a free service that constantly monitors the Web for your name and emails it to you. Within just a few days, you’ll see your efforts paying off as your new content begins bubbling up to the top of search results.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 6 min 32 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 29 min 29 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 19 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 15 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 29 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 29 min ago