150 Reasons to Have Pride in 2010
BY Advocate Contributors
May 10 2010 5:00 AM ET
BECAUSE NOTHING CAN STOP LARRY KRAMER
Having beaten the Grim Reaper into submission, Larry Kramer remains as fiery as ever nearly nine years after a lifesaving liver transplant. Reminding us that advances “came because gay people fought like tigers and screaming banshees,” Kramer’s helping reclaim our history with his 4,000-page opus The American People, due out in 2011.
BECAUSE SHOWTIME’S STILL QUEER AS FOLK
Even without the eye candy (we’re looking at both of you, Henry Cavill and Jonathan Rhys Meyers) that populates its sexy series The Tudors, gay characters like Thor, the diabetic caregiver on Nurse Jackie; Marshall, Toni Collette’s teenage son on The United States of Tara; and the raucous ladies of The Real L Word keep us watching.
BECAUSE WE’RE NOT ALONE IN LOVING A GOOD PAGEANT
Indiana University may field some great basketball teams, but that’s no competition for the draw of Miss Gay IU—the nation’s first known student-sponsored drag competition. Better yet, this year marks its 20th anniversary. Perhaps a Miss Gay IU reunion is in order?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 20 min 58 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 30 min 40 sec ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 1 hour 9 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM