150 Reasons to Have Pride in 2010
BY Advocate Contributors
May 10 2010 4:00 AM ET
BECAUSE NOTHING CAN STOP LARRY KRAMER
Having beaten the Grim Reaper into submission, Larry Kramer remains as fiery as ever nearly nine years after a lifesaving liver transplant. Reminding us that advances “came because gay people fought like tigers and screaming banshees,” Kramer’s helping reclaim our history with his 4,000-page opus The American People, due out in 2011.
BECAUSE SHOWTIME’S STILL QUEER AS FOLK
Even without the eye candy (we’re looking at both of you, Henry Cavill and Jonathan Rhys Meyers) that populates its sexy series The Tudors, gay characters like Thor, the diabetic caregiver on Nurse Jackie; Marshall, Toni Collette’s teenage son on The United States of Tara; and the raucous ladies of The Real L Word keep us watching.
BECAUSE WE’RE NOT ALONE IN LOVING A GOOD PAGEANT
Indiana University may field some great basketball teams, but that’s no competition for the draw of Miss Gay IU—the nation’s first known student-sponsored drag competition. Better yet, this year marks its 20th anniversary. Perhaps a Miss Gay IU reunion is in order?
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM