BY Jon Barrett
July 12 2010 5:00 AM ET
One of the best things about working at The Advocate is that we’re always hearing from our readers. Whether you love what we’re doing, can’t stand a story you read on Advocate.com, or want to make sure we’re aware of a vote going down in your city council, you don’t hesitate to tell us. And while hearing from readers is spectacular, seeing you is even doubly so. That’s why we’re so thrilled with this issue, our first ever to feature “A Day in Gay America.”
The idea is simple: Set a date (May 21, in this case) and ask gay people across the country to take a picture of themselves doing anything—from the ordinary to the extraordinary—on that day.
And boy, did you deliver. As the photographs started flooding in on May 21, we suddenly got to see the faces of all those readers who’ve been writing us all these years. There were parents with their children, teenagers at prom, activists fighting for repeal of DADT—and even an amazing lesbian with her own news show on MSNBC. You look fantastic.
As you might imagine, we received many more photos than we could fit into this magazine, so we’ll be running all of them—with a few exceptions (what do you know; some of our readers are exhibitionists!)—on Advocate.com. Thank you all for your amazing participation!
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 1 hour 5 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 1 hour 55 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 1 hour 56 min ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM