BY Jon Barrett
July 12 2010 5:00 AM ET
One of the best things about working at The Advocate is that we’re always hearing from our readers. Whether you love what we’re doing, can’t stand a story you read on Advocate.com, or want to make sure we’re aware of a vote going down in your city council, you don’t hesitate to tell us. And while hearing from readers is spectacular, seeing you is even doubly so. That’s why we’re so thrilled with this issue, our first ever to feature “A Day in Gay America.”
The idea is simple: Set a date (May 21, in this case) and ask gay people across the country to take a picture of themselves doing anything—from the ordinary to the extraordinary—on that day.
And boy, did you deliver. As the photographs started flooding in on May 21, we suddenly got to see the faces of all those readers who’ve been writing us all these years. There were parents with their children, teenagers at prom, activists fighting for repeal of DADT—and even an amazing lesbian with her own news show on MSNBC. You look fantastic.
As you might imagine, we received many more photos than we could fit into this magazine, so we’ll be running all of them—with a few exceptions (what do you know; some of our readers are exhibitionists!)—on Advocate.com. Thank you all for your amazing participation!
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Catholic School Tells Trans Teen 'Wear Girl's Gown or Don't Walk at Graduation'
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Chely Wright and Lauren Blitzer Welcome Twins 2 min 49 sec ago
- Health News Calcium Bad, Cinnamon Good, PreP Fails: Baffling Health News 31 min 51 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Coming Out HIV-Positive in the Comic Book Store 34 min 49 sec ago
- Transgender WATCH: Catholic School Won't Let Trans Grad Wear Men's Garb 58 min 53 sec ago
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 1 hour 31 min ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 2 hours 33 min ago
- Marriage Equality Special Communion Bread Makes Debut for Minneapolis Church 2 hours 43 min ago