BY Jon Barrett
July 12 2010 5:00 AM ET
One of the best things about working at The Advocate is that we’re always hearing from our readers. Whether you love what we’re doing, can’t stand a story you read on Advocate.com, or want to make sure we’re aware of a vote going down in your city council, you don’t hesitate to tell us. And while hearing from readers is spectacular, seeing you is even doubly so. That’s why we’re so thrilled with this issue, our first ever to feature “A Day in Gay America.”
The idea is simple: Set a date (May 21, in this case) and ask gay people across the country to take a picture of themselves doing anything—from the ordinary to the extraordinary—on that day.
And boy, did you deliver. As the photographs started flooding in on May 21, we suddenly got to see the faces of all those readers who’ve been writing us all these years. There were parents with their children, teenagers at prom, activists fighting for repeal of DADT—and even an amazing lesbian with her own news show on MSNBC. You look fantastic.
As you might imagine, we received many more photos than we could fit into this magazine, so we’ll be running all of them—with a few exceptions (what do you know; some of our readers are exhibitionists!)—on Advocate.com. Thank you all for your amazing participation!
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Boy Scouts Timeline
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 16 min 49 sec ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM