BY Jon Barrett
April 11 2011 4:00 AM ET
Used to be I was offended if someone suggested that I lived in a bubble. But after nearly three years as editor in chief of The Advocate, I realize there’s a lot to be said about spending your time surrounded by people who spend all day focused on LGBT rights and equality. It makes you hyper-aware of our successes — whether it’s President Obama’s repudiation of the Defense of Marriage Act (page 10) or Wyoming legislators’ rebuke of yet another antigay measure. And, at the same time, it makes you exceptionally sensitive to our defeats, even though I’ll be the first to admit that’s not always a good thing. When you live in a bubble, it’s hard to believe that a majority of voters would ever rule against your happiness — until you’re slapped in the face by actual election returns.
As I step down as editor in chief I know it’s likely I’ll never again experience the same joy I felt watching the first same-sex couple legally wed in California — or the same despair that clouded my heart when Proposition 8 passed. But the camaraderie I’ve shared with my colleagues here at The Advocate — a compassion that’s been passed down to generations of journalists since the magazine started in 1967 — will stay with me forever.
The Advocate is a work in progress — it always will be — and there are certain to be advances to come. Whether or not you agree with these changes (and I know from feedback I’ve received over the years that you don’t always), I assure you that the people behind them are working for you. That’s because you are us, and we’re all fighting for the same thing: equality. In this bubble, that’s all we think about.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 8 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 20 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM