NLGJA President Michael Triplett Dead at 48
BY Trudy Ring
January 17 2013 9:01 PM ET
Michael Triplett, president of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association, died today at age 48 after a battle with cancer.
“While Michael only served as president for a few short months, he has been a member of our leadership team for several years, first as a Washington, D.C., chapter board member and president and then as a national board member and vice president for print,” NLGJA officials said in a press release posted on the group’s website.
Triplett was assistant managing editor at Bloomberg-BNA, where he helped guide coverage of tax and labor issues, drawing on his background in law. He frequently served on NLGJA panels dealing with legal matters.
When NLGJA joined UNITY: Journalists for Diversity, he played a key role in the move, and he was one of NLGJA’s first representatives to the UNITY board. He also was a principal contributor to NLGJA’s RE:ACT blog.
“Michael was truly a joy for all of us to work with, and his loss will be felt among our organization for years to come,” NLGJA officials said. The board plans to elect an interim president soon and also determine the best way to memorialize Triplett. Survivors include his partner, Jack.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM