NLGJA President Michael Triplett Dead at 48
BY Trudy Ring
January 17 2013 9:01 PM ET
Michael Triplett, president of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association, died today at age 48 after a battle with cancer.
“While Michael only served as president for a few short months, he has been a member of our leadership team for several years, first as a Washington, D.C., chapter board member and president and then as a national board member and vice president for print,” NLGJA officials said in a press release posted on the group’s website.
Triplett was assistant managing editor at Bloomberg-BNA, where he helped guide coverage of tax and labor issues, drawing on his background in law. He frequently served on NLGJA panels dealing with legal matters.
When NLGJA joined UNITY: Journalists for Diversity, he played a key role in the move, and he was one of NLGJA’s first representatives to the UNITY board. He also was a principal contributor to NLGJA’s RE:ACT blog.
“Michael was truly a joy for all of us to work with, and his loss will be felt among our organization for years to come,” NLGJA officials said. The board plans to elect an interim president soon and also determine the best way to memorialize Triplett. Survivors include his partner, Jack.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 2 hours 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM