Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
For eight years, I've been incredibly fortunate to be doing trans social justice work. And as I look back at what has been accomplished, I can say that 2011 is especially marked by victory after victory. Most Americans now know a little bit more about the struggle trans people face. Every day people are becoming stronger trans allies. From the trans actors we are finally seeing on movie and television screens, to local nondiscrimination laws, and to the global call for LGBT rights, there is real change in nearly every facet of our lives.
Of course, discrimination and disrespect against trans people persists. Disparities in employment and healthcare for trans people and especially among trans people of color run high. And our federal policy agenda is brimming with solutions we are pressing the federal government for.
Despite the work ahead, I'm still both humbled and excited by the progress that we are winning.
Recognizing that there is lots of good work being done across the country, here's my take on 14 reasons, in no particular order, that made the year great for trans people.
1. More and More State and Local Laws Pass
Four states (Hawaii, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Nevada) passed transgender antidiscrimination laws--the most new laws ever in one year. Vermont and California passed new birth certificate laws making it easier for transgender people to update their name and gender. By a vote of 61-81, the Maine legislature killed an anti-trans bill. And 13 local jurisdictions passed laws protecting trans people in the workplace.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 12 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 36 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 12 sec ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 31 min ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 1 hour 33 min ago