ESPN Radio Hosts Suspended for Mocking Transgender Basketball Player
BY Michelle Garcia
December 11 2012 3:46 PM ET UPDATED: December 11 2012 6:11 PM ET
Transgender woman Gabrielle Ludwig, a Desert Storm veteran, got to fulfill her life-long wishes by going back to college and playing for Contra Costa Community College's basketball team at age 50.
But that didn't stop ESPN radio hosts Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin from brutally degrading her experience and mocking her appearance and calling her "he/she" and "it."
According to Outsports, the radio hosts also say transgender people should not play sports, and conveyed disgusted reactions regarding her appearance.
Helen Carroll, an advocate for LGBT people in athletics said the language used in the broadcast is "inexcusable."
The duo issued a 10-second apology, according to the report, for calling Ludwig an "it."
A request for comment from the ESPN radio station in Washington, D.C., which airs the show, has not yet been returned.
UPDATE: ESPN980 has suspended sports talk show hosts Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin for their segment last week.
In a statement sent out Tuesday, the station wrote: "We strongly believe two of our employees crossed the line when discussing a transsexual person on their program last Thursday. Such intolerance and insensitivity will never be tolerated by this company. Due to the nature of this conversation, the pair have been temporarily removed from ESPN980's Sports Reporters program."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels 18 min 22 sec ago
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' 47 min 39 sec ago
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 24 min ago
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 1 hour 41 min ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 2 hours 13 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 2 hours 45 min ago