ESPN Radio Hosts Suspended for Mocking Transgender Basketball Player
BY Michelle Garcia
December 11 2012 3:46 PM ET UPDATED: December 11 2012 6:11 PM ET
Transgender woman Gabrielle Ludwig, a Desert Storm veteran, got to fulfill her life-long wishes by going back to college and playing for Contra Costa Community College's basketball team at age 50.
But that didn't stop ESPN radio hosts Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin from brutally degrading her experience and mocking her appearance and calling her "he/she" and "it."
According to Outsports, the radio hosts also say transgender people should not play sports, and conveyed disgusted reactions regarding her appearance.
Helen Carroll, an advocate for LGBT people in athletics said the language used in the broadcast is "inexcusable."
The duo issued a 10-second apology, according to the report, for calling Ludwig an "it."
A request for comment from the ESPN radio station in Washington, D.C., which airs the show, has not yet been returned.
UPDATE: ESPN980 has suspended sports talk show hosts Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin for their segment last week.
In a statement sent out Tuesday, the station wrote: "We strongly believe two of our employees crossed the line when discussing a transsexual person on their program last Thursday. Such intolerance and insensitivity will never be tolerated by this company. Due to the nature of this conversation, the pair have been temporarily removed from ESPN980's Sports Reporters program."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News EXCLUSIVE: Madonna's MDNA Concert Clip 33 min 52 sec ago
- Politics Dallas Councilwoman Objects to Gay HIV Billboard 1 hour 29 min ago
- Marriage Equality Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative 1 hour 39 min ago
- Business Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: The Voice's Out Artist Michelle Chamuel Tackles Annie Lennox's 'Why' 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer Says Judge is Biased, Should Remove Himself 2 hours 3 min ago
- HIV & AIDS 12 HIV-Positive Tattoos You Must See 2 hours 5 min ago