Who Has Given Russia The Coldest Shoulder, So Far?
BY Michelle Garcia
February 03 2014 1:00 PM ET
With the Winter Olympics coming to Russia for the first time in decades, the world is watching, especially thanks to the country's law barring "gay propaganda." It's now illegal to mention anything pro-gay while in the presence of minors, or face the wrath of Vladimir Putin's bigotry. On top of that, countless reports of attacks on LGBT Russians (with little being done by law enforcement to stop it) makes the climate there frightening.
Many outside of Russia have protested the country's antigay ways. We found some of the most significant examples of how icy things have gotten between Putin, the Kremlin, and the rest of the world.
American Kennel Club politely but firmly urged the organizers of the 2016 World Dog Show to move the event out of Russia, arguing that "our dogs love us unconditionally." And, "Dogs do not discriminate." In their letter, the president and the board chairman of the kennel club made it clear what will happen if the event stays in Russia: "AKC cannot and will not support participation in the 2016 World Dog Show if it is held in Russia."
Someone in Russia apparently thought it would be a great idea for Cher to perform at the Opening Ceremonies. Cher did not agree. She told Maclean's magazine, "I immediately said no. I want to know why all of this gay hate just exploded over there."
German president Joachim Gauck and French president François Hollande each announced they would not attend the Olympics. The French president, who rallied his country to pass marriage equality, left it a little vague about why he's staying home. But Gauck sure didn't. He's boycotting.
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 28 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 34 min 22 sec ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 1 hour 17 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 1 hour 18 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 1 hour 20 min ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around the World 11:17 AM