Report: Michael Sam Joining Dallas Cowboys' Practice Team
BY Michelle Garcia
September 03 2014 12:01 PM ET
While Michael Sam will not be playing for the St. Louis Rams’ 53-man roster nor the team’s practice squad, he will have a home this season in Arlington, Texas, SportsCenter reports.
Dallas is in need of a player with Sam's skill set, as the team logged just 34 sacks last season, and Sam’s strength and ability to anticipate the snap make him a threatening force in the opposing backfield.
THIS JUST IN: Cowboys will sign DE Michael Sam to practice squad. pic.twitter.com/5hYf08D3v9
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) September 3, 2014
By making the practice squad, it puts Sam one step closer to potentially being named to a full roster, in the event someone on the team is injured or underperforming.
Meanwhile, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is no stranger to media attention, with flashy play, big egos, and an even bigger stadium to show for his legacy. After purchasing the team in the late ’80s, Jones helped the Cowboys become a veritable dynasty during the mid-1990s. In recent years, however, the team has been a beacon of mediocrity, having gone 8-8 in the past three regular seasons.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- After Years of Hiding in Hollywood, Trans Actress Trace Lysette Is Finally 'Living Out Loud'
- WATCH: 'Reporting Tonight: Thomas Roberts,' First Out Gay Man To Anchor Network News
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation