Where Should You Take Your BF or GF on Vacation?
BY Jason Couvillion
March 21 2013 3:00 AM ET
There are a million places to spend your travel dollar, but where should you start? Travel expert Jason Couvillion is here to answer your LGBT-themed travel questions (send additional queries to [email protected]).
I want to take my boyfriend for a romantic three- or four-day getaway on the beach. What would you recommend? And is there somewhere that would have great luxury resorts but have inexpensive options for food and nightlife?
Couvillion: Jump on a plane for a quick flight to the Riviera Maya, a slice of Caribbean paradise about an hour south of Cancun. From most places in the Unites States it’s not more than a three to four hour flight to Cancun on American, Virgin or United, then get out of Cancun as quickly as possible! Head to Playa del Carmen, a bustling little resort city with a European influence surrounded by the crystal waters of the Carribean. Check out chic but inexpensive crash pads like the Hotel Deseo (http://www.hoteldeseo.com/). Or splurge for the more romantic and private Maroma Resort (http://www.maromahotel.com/web/ocan/maroma.jsp), on a private stretch of beach about 10 minutes from town with a world-class spa and amazing restaurants. There is also a Viceroy (http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/rivieramaya) and Fairmont Mayakoba (http://www.fairmont.com/mayakoba-riviera-maya/), two other extremely luxurious and top notch properties on the beach. You can have your luxury room and get into town for inexpensive but delicious restaurant experiences. Try Oh Lala (http://www.facebook.com/oh.lala.142) for trendy, funky décor and outstanding international cuisine, or Club de la Cerveza (http://www.clubdelacerveza.mx/) for the best Mexican food in town.
Playa del Carmen is teeming with Europeans and has a very open-minded feel, so gay couples can be comfortable here. When asked if the area is gay friendly, they’ll tell you that they are just people friendly!
There is one gay bar, Playa 69, in the city, but there are many bars along the pedestrian only 5th Avenue North that are much nicer and very open. Or lounge on a beach chair at one of the beach clubs like Mamitas or Kool (http://www.mamitasbeachclub.com/ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kool-Beach-Playa-del-Carmen/154486747937434). Three days will have you completely relaxed, revitalized, and reconnected to your boyfriend.
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 44 min 4 sec ago
- Comedy Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons' Inappropriate Whose Line Appearance 1 hour 31 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 1 hour 47 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 2 hours 2 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 2 hours 4 min ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to A Child Coming Out 2 hours 19 min ago
- Pride Will Lithuania Ban Pride Parades? 2 hours 20 min ago