BY Corey Scholibo
August 28 2009 3:15 PM ET
The Portland-based Ace Hotel chain has quickly become the hippest in the United States, and their most recent addition, a desert destination in the heart of Palm Springs, is no exception to the rule. Set on a sprawling five-acre resort, the hotel merges the idea of motel chic with the feeling of camping.
The walls of most of the rooms are covered in a beige canvas that opens up to mosquito netting like the doors of a tent. Other suites feature mid-century modern furniture, animal rugs, walls covered in white slats with hooks to hang your hat or shirt, and clips where vintage magazine photographs act as art. Each room has a record player with a handful of selections, with more vinyl available at the front desk.
The rooms provide full-length caftans and matching robes, and one of my rooms even had a walking stick. I was too embarrassed to wander around like Moses in public but enjoyed lounging around in the garb in the privacy of my room.
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Rising Above the Down Low
- Op-ed: Human Sexuality Is More Than Gay And Straight
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM