BY Corey Scholibo
August 28 2009 2:15 PM ET
The Portland-based Ace Hotel chain has quickly become the hippest in the United States, and their most recent addition, a desert destination in the heart of Palm Springs, is no exception to the rule. Set on a sprawling five-acre resort, the hotel merges the idea of motel chic with the feeling of camping.
The walls of most of the rooms are covered in a beige canvas that opens up to mosquito netting like the doors of a tent. Other suites feature mid-century modern furniture, animal rugs, walls covered in white slats with hooks to hang your hat or shirt, and clips where vintage magazine photographs act as art. Each room has a record player with a handful of selections, with more vinyl available at the front desk.
The rooms provide full-length caftans and matching robes, and one of my rooms even had a walking stick. I was too embarrassed to wander around like Moses in public but enjoyed lounging around in the garb in the privacy of my room.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 36 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM