Top 10 News Stories of 2012
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 26 2012 5:00 AM ET
7. The GOP’s Presidential Homophobes
Looking to rile up the base in an election year, Republican presidential candidates doubled down on their homophobic rhetoric. Rick Santorum said it’s better for kids to have a father in jail than to be raised by a same-sex couple and that as president he would invalidate existing same-sex marriages. An indignant Rick Perry released an ad bemoaning the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell.” The GOP ticket of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan fell into lockstep on nearly every one of each other’s antigay positions: Both opposed marriage equality, opposed the repeal of DADT, vowed to keep the Defense of Marriage Act the law of the land, and opposed hate-crimes legislation. Romney said laws on job discrimination were best left to the states, and Ryan initially voted to kill the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, though he ultimately voted in favor of the as-yet unpassed legislation.
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- WATCH: Trailer for Liberace Film, 'Behind The Candelabra'
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM