Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
BY Michelle Garcia
December 20 2013 11:13 AM ET
Fab: Nike Ponies Up
Athletic apparel powerhouse Nike pledged hundreds of thousands of dollars to the fight to establish marriage equality in the headquarters' home state of Oregon. The company also launched a second set of pride gear. But to help dismantle fears that athletes would lose endorsements by coming out, when it was reported that Nike planned to offer an endorsement deal the first active player in a men's major league to come out.
Fail: Closeted NFL Players
It was widely rumored for months earlier this year that somewhere between one and four NFL players were planning to come out. It ended up not happening, and NBA player Jason Collins stole the spotlight with a memorable treatment in Sports Illustrated.
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation