Iowa: Teen Uses Twitter For Good
BY Michelle Garcia
May 02 2012 12:31 PM ET
Marion, Iowa teenager Matt Shankles was one of many teenagers across the country subjected to bullying in school and online. He even resorted to cutting himself and said he "hated myself more than I hate war," according to the Marion Patch. That all changed when he decided to use the bullies' own tool to make others feel good.
A Linn-Mar High School student created an anonymous Twitter handle to blast students and publicly shame them. To counter, Shankles created @linn_mar_love to tweet words of kindness to other students. Using the account, he sends messages to students like, "There must be something in the water at Linn-Mar. Everyone is so talented and beautiful. Better start drinking it. ;)" or "Keep your chin up. You're too important to be ashamed."
He even started to counteract the bullying account by reaching out to the recipients of the harmful tweets. The original bullying account has since been deleted.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View