Iowa: Teen Uses Twitter For Good
BY Michelle Garcia
May 02 2012 1:31 PM ET
Marion, Iowa teenager Matt Shankles was one of many teenagers across the country subjected to bullying in school and online. He even resorted to cutting himself and said he "hated myself more than I hate war," according to the Marion Patch. That all changed when he decided to use the bullies' own tool to make others feel good.
A Linn-Mar High School student created an anonymous Twitter handle to blast students and publicly shame them. To counter, Shankles created @linn_mar_love to tweet words of kindness to other students. Using the account, he sends messages to students like, "There must be something in the water at Linn-Mar. Everyone is so talented and beautiful. Better start drinking it. ;)" or "Keep your chin up. You're too important to be ashamed."
He even started to counteract the bullying account by reaching out to the recipients of the harmful tweets. The original bullying account has since been deleted.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 51 min 11 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 6 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 41 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 43 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 13 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM