Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Editor's Note: All photos and biographies on the following pages are edited versions of those provided by the Point Foundation.
San Francisco Art Institute
The mixed-heritage, lesbian daughter of a strong-willed Mexican and Native American mother and an out, HIV-positive father, Sarah Biscarra-Dilley has benefitted from growing up in an inter-generational network of blood and chosen LGBTQ family. It's a life she credits with many of her skills.
A former high school dropout who is now pursuing her BA in Urban Studies at the San Francisco Art Institute, Biscarra-Dilley is also a voting member of the California Indian Basketweavers Association and a participating artist in the National Queer Arts Festival several years running. Her long-term goal is becoming an arts educator with a commitment to social justice and a mentor to LGBT and Two-Spirit youth.
“As artists, we shape and illuminate the world we inhabit and have the responsibility to incorporate the lessons of those who came before us into the inspiration for those yet to come," she said. "This involved process is much like basketry; it takes great patience and skill to incorporate many fibers into a cohesive whole. This whole holds a history while taking on a new life in the future. The same is true of the role of art in the expression and survival of culture. The responsibility that we hold, as image-makers, artists, cultural stewards, activists and visionaries, is a crucial part of the existence of culture itself. The act of creating ensures cultural and spiritual survival, engages and enlivens our surroundings. In doing so, we create new rituals to supplement those that have been used since time immemorial in the pursuit of a vibrant future."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 21 min 1 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 32 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 45 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM