Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Philosophy & Classics
Growing up in New York City and suburban New Jersey in a politically active home, Josh Blecher‐Cohen has always had an interest in social justice. It started as a high school sophomore working as a student organizer for Amnesty International. Meanwhile, he was beginning to put a label on his sexuality and coming out as a bisexual man. Eventually Blecher-Cohen’s identities as a human rights advocate and queer man intersected.
Out at school, Blecher-Cohenhelped found a gay‐straight alliance that grew to 90 members. As GSA president, he also led regional youth outreach initiatives, founding and leading a countywide coalition of more than 20 GSAs across northern New Jersey.
As an intern with Garden State Equality, he helped coordinate anti‐bullying initiatives. He's also interned at the American Civil Liberties Union’s LGBT & AIDS Project. He's also a National Merit Scholar and United States Presidential Scholar.
After experiencing biphobic remarks, Blecher-Cohen became interested in their marginalization within the LGBT community. He's conducted research attempting to integrate considerations of bisexuality into areas of study as varied as queer theory and Judaic legal tradition. Blecher-Cohen hopes to work in public interest law with a focus on civil rights issues.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM