Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Philosophy & Classics
Growing up in New York City and suburban New Jersey in a politically active home, Josh Blecher‐Cohen has always had an interest in social justice. It started as a high school sophomore working as a student organizer for Amnesty International. Meanwhile, he was beginning to put a label on his sexuality and coming out as a bisexual man. Eventually Blecher-Cohen’s identities as a human rights advocate and queer man intersected.
Out at school, Blecher-Cohenhelped found a gay‐straight alliance that grew to 90 members. As GSA president, he also led regional youth outreach initiatives, founding and leading a countywide coalition of more than 20 GSAs across northern New Jersey.
As an intern with Garden State Equality, he helped coordinate anti‐bullying initiatives. He's also interned at the American Civil Liberties Union’s LGBT & AIDS Project. He's also a National Merit Scholar and United States Presidential Scholar.
After experiencing biphobic remarks, Blecher-Cohen became interested in their marginalization within the LGBT community. He's conducted research attempting to integrate considerations of bisexuality into areas of study as varied as queer theory and Judaic legal tradition. Blecher-Cohen hopes to work in public interest law with a focus on civil rights issues.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5 min 28 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 21 min 48 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 44 min 45 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 35 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 31 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 44 min ago