Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Philosophy & Classics
Growing up in New York City and suburban New Jersey in a politically active home, Josh Blecher‐Cohen has always had an interest in social justice. It started as a high school sophomore working as a student organizer for Amnesty International. Meanwhile, he was beginning to put a label on his sexuality and coming out as a bisexual man. Eventually Blecher-Cohen’s identities as a human rights advocate and queer man intersected.
Out at school, Blecher-Cohenhelped found a gay‐straight alliance that grew to 90 members. As GSA president, he also led regional youth outreach initiatives, founding and leading a countywide coalition of more than 20 GSAs across northern New Jersey.
As an intern with Garden State Equality, he helped coordinate anti‐bullying initiatives. He's also interned at the American Civil Liberties Union’s LGBT & AIDS Project. He's also a National Merit Scholar and United States Presidential Scholar.
After experiencing biphobic remarks, Blecher-Cohen became interested in their marginalization within the LGBT community. He's conducted research attempting to integrate considerations of bisexuality into areas of study as varied as queer theory and Judaic legal tradition. Blecher-Cohen hopes to work in public interest law with a focus on civil rights issues.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 18 min 44 sec ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 21 min 16 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 1 hour 12 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 2 hours 32 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 2 hours 43 min ago