Gay New Mexico Teen Commits Suicide After Years of Bullying
BY Jase Peeples
July 16 2013 6:44 PM ET
A gay teen from Valencia County, New Mexico has taken his own life after enduring years of bullying, reports KOB News.
Carlos Vigil posted a suicide note to his Twitter account on July 13, moments before he ended his life. "I'm sorry to those I offended over the years. I'm blind to see that I, as a human being, suck. I'm an individual who is doing an injustice to the world and it's time for me to leave," reads the note. "The kids in school are right, I am a loser, a freak, and a fag and in no way is that acceptable for people to deal with. I'm sorry for not being a person that would make people proud."
The 17-year-old’s parents say their son had been suffering from bulling since the third grade, but they had only been aware of his situation for a few years. "We found out three years ago that he was going through this stuff and we've been trying to help him every day since," Carlos' father, Ray Vigil, told KOB. "We realize he's been going through it every day since he was in the third grade, that's a long time for a child to hold that within himself."
The Los Lunas High School student was known for his antibullying advocacy and would often counsel other teens who were also dealing with harassment from their peers. He even traveled to North Carolina to lobby an antibullying bill in the state’s legislature.
However, while he continually tried to help others, Carlos himself was being aggressively teased for being gay, as well as his physical appearance.
“Carlos wanted to be accepted by all, when he only needed to be accepted by himself,” said Ray Vigil.
Carlos’ parents have said his organs will be donated, as it was his wish to continue helping people, even in death.
Watch the original KOB report below, filmed while Vigil remained on life support before he passed away.
For help with depression, suicidal thoughts, or coming out, please visit the Trevor Project at TheTrevorProject.org or call its Lifeline at 866-488-7386.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 37 min 33 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 46 min 50 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 51 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 2 hours 24 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 44 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM