WATCH: Revealing Homophobia in a Frat Makes Trouble for Messenger
BY Trudy Ring
April 09 2014 7:47 PM ET
Reports of homophobia within a Mississippi college fraternity created more problems for the messengers than for the frat itself, according to a new video produced by Christian Hendricks as part of his South of the Ohio series.
In the video, Douglas Kennedy, a student at Millsaps College in Jackson, recounts his frustration at the frequent use of “faggot” by his fraternity brothers; in one incident, witnessed by a friend of Kennedy’s who was doing a story on being gay in a fraternity, one member slapped another on the head and said, “What’s up, faggot?”
When the story was published in the school newspaper, it strained Kennedy’s friendship with the fraternity president, and it resulted in the paper ceasing publication for a time. When the paper was revived, it had a different editor and adviser, and it came out less frequently, Kennedy says. He adds that he received a variety of comments, positive and negative, on the story.
Watch the video below.
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- WATCH: Deaf Meets LGBT in New Romantic Series
- 20 Southern Decadence Dos and Don'ts
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball