Model turned actress Cara Delevingne is at last speaking out on the recent controversy over her in-depth cover story for Vogue, in which the writer suggested Delevingne's sexuality was a phase.
On Sunday, The New York Times published a new interview with Delevingne, who said she found a petition demanding an apology from Vogue's editor in chief, Anna Wintour, "flattering."
Delevingne made it clear to The Times: "My sexuality is not a phase. I am who I am." She added that she didn't think the Vogue interview was "malicious."
As The Advocate previously reported, the brouhaha started after writer Rob Haskell interviewed Delevingne for Vogue's July cover story. Delevingne explained the difficulties of coming to terms with her bisexuality.
"It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it," Delevingne told Vogue. "But I have erotic dreams only about men. I had one two nights ago where I went up to a guy in the back of a VW minivan, with a bunch of his friends around him, and pretty much jumped him."
She is currently dating singer Annie Clark, who performs under the name St. Vincent.
Delevingne said she is open to love with any gender. "If I ever found a guy I could fall in love with, I'd want to marry him and have his children," Delevingne told Vogue. Still, Delevingne expressed hesitancy in dating men because she worried they would "walk away."
Vogue's writer, Rob Haskell, then suggested to Delevingne she should "trust a man" adding that Delevingne's parents "seem to think girls are just a phase for Cara." Haskell asserted the parents may be "correct." The interview sparked controversy in the bisexual community and a petition that has gained more than 22-thousand signatures.
The fashion publication has yet to acknowledge either the controversy or the petition.
An earlier version of this story contained a misspelling of Delevigne's name, it has been corrected.