Artist Spotlight: Alek & Steph
BY Albert Smith
October 09 2010 4:00 AM ET
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Alek & Steph: Like everything in life, for us becoming photographers was the result of circumstances. A little luck, a lot of work, and a few sacrifices. Photography is a perfect combination of our love for fashion, travel, and architecture.
What catches your eyes?
It can be a composition, a particular lighting, an innocent moment or over-the-top story. But we always try our best to translate on the photo how we see things! Before starting to share our work, we have never realized how we sometimes can see things so differently from other people.
How do you choose your subjects?
We are lucky enough that our subjects find us, through our website www.alekandsteph.com and blog www.ohlalamag.com. We believe that anyone is a great subject as long as you make a good story out of it. Sometimes less the subject looks like a model, the more interesting it becomes to find the natural beauty.
How do you describe your work?
Ever-evolving, fun, and inspirational.
What makes a good photograph to you?
Certainly not the camera! Very often people contact us to get information about the camera or equipment we use. I (Steph) can use any device from a professional camera to my iPhone. What matters to me is to capture a moment, but at the same time Alek knows how to control the "elements," which is very important when you shoot in a studio. I am more spontaneous and I love using natural light to my advantage, so that is why we make a great team.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Steph: I was inspired from a very young age by my grandfather, who was a sculptor and a painter. I am not obsessed by one individual. I respect the work of people who express themselves in any artistic way — it can be a chef, a musician. or a designer. We can be moved by different things depending on our state of mind, and that inspires me.
Alek: I am a great admirer of photography, and I would say that every single photograph I have ever seen inspired me to take my craft to another level.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 39 min 26 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 20 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 43 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM