Artist Spotlight: Alek & Steph
BY Albert Smith
October 09 2010 3:00 AM ET
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Alek & Steph: Like everything in life, for us becoming photographers was the result of circumstances. A little luck, a lot of work, and a few sacrifices. Photography is a perfect combination of our love for fashion, travel, and architecture.
What catches your eyes?
It can be a composition, a particular lighting, an innocent moment or over-the-top story. But we always try our best to translate on the photo how we see things! Before starting to share our work, we have never realized how we sometimes can see things so differently from other people.
How do you choose your subjects?
We are lucky enough that our subjects find us, through our website www.alekandsteph.com and blog www.ohlalamag.com. We believe that anyone is a great subject as long as you make a good story out of it. Sometimes less the subject looks like a model, the more interesting it becomes to find the natural beauty.
How do you describe your work?
Ever-evolving, fun, and inspirational.
What makes a good photograph to you?
Certainly not the camera! Very often people contact us to get information about the camera or equipment we use. I (Steph) can use any device from a professional camera to my iPhone. What matters to me is to capture a moment, but at the same time Alek knows how to control the "elements," which is very important when you shoot in a studio. I am more spontaneous and I love using natural light to my advantage, so that is why we make a great team.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Steph: I was inspired from a very young age by my grandfather, who was a sculptor and a painter. I am not obsessed by one individual. I respect the work of people who express themselves in any artistic way — it can be a chef, a musician. or a designer. We can be moved by different things depending on our state of mind, and that inspires me.
Alek: I am a great admirer of photography, and I would say that every single photograph I have ever seen inspired me to take my craft to another level.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM