Artist Spotlight: Christian Oita
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 04 2011 3:00 AM ET
Romanian-born and German-raised, Christian Oita started out as a writer. His artistic shift to fashion photography three years ago was soon to trigger a full career transition. Today, he is shooting his singularly styled male fashion imagery for clients on both sides of the Atlantic.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Christian Oita: I was working at a local newspaper in my late teens and there was this photojournalist who mentored me. He tried to talk me out of painting. For days I would go on telling him how photography is basically a lazy way of creating images with no original outcome whatsoever. A few weeks later I gave up painting and picked up a camera.
What catches your eye?
Vintage cars and large billboards. Cute puppy dogs in parks.
How do you choose your subjects?
Casting is always a crucial aspect, even with assignments that seem easy to cast, starting off. I tend to go the distance, because the right choice here will usually end up making the difference.
Who are your favorite artists and why?
Those who dare. Michelangelo Antonioni, David Hockney, Sergio Leone, Chuck Close, Alexander McQueen, Jean-Paul Goude.
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 1 hour 11 min ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM