Artist Spotlight: Christian Oita
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 04 2011 4:00 AM ET
Romanian-born and German-raised, Christian Oita started out as a writer. His artistic shift to fashion photography three years ago was soon to trigger a full career transition. Today, he is shooting his singularly styled male fashion imagery for clients on both sides of the Atlantic.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Christian Oita: I was working at a local newspaper in my late teens and there was this photojournalist who mentored me. He tried to talk me out of painting. For days I would go on telling him how photography is basically a lazy way of creating images with no original outcome whatsoever. A few weeks later I gave up painting and picked up a camera.
What catches your eye?
Vintage cars and large billboards. Cute puppy dogs in parks.
How do you choose your subjects?
Casting is always a crucial aspect, even with assignments that seem easy to cast, starting off. I tend to go the distance, because the right choice here will usually end up making the difference.
Who are your favorite artists and why?
Those who dare. Michelangelo Antonioni, David Hockney, Sergio Leone, Chuck Close, Alexander McQueen, Jean-Paul Goude.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 1 hour 17 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM