Artist Spotlight: Christian Oita
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 04 2011 4:00 AM ET
Romanian-born and German-raised, Christian Oita started out as a writer. His artistic shift to fashion photography three years ago was soon to trigger a full career transition. Today, he is shooting his singularly styled male fashion imagery for clients on both sides of the Atlantic.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Christian Oita: I was working at a local newspaper in my late teens and there was this photojournalist who mentored me. He tried to talk me out of painting. For days I would go on telling him how photography is basically a lazy way of creating images with no original outcome whatsoever. A few weeks later I gave up painting and picked up a camera.
What catches your eye?
Vintage cars and large billboards. Cute puppy dogs in parks.
How do you choose your subjects?
Casting is always a crucial aspect, even with assignments that seem easy to cast, starting off. I tend to go the distance, because the right choice here will usually end up making the difference.
Who are your favorite artists and why?
Those who dare. Michelangelo Antonioni, David Hockney, Sergio Leone, Chuck Close, Alexander McQueen, Jean-Paul Goude.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 1 hour 7 min ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM