In the Galleries: Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 31 2013 9:35 AM ET
"Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland" is the first American museum exhibition devoted to the work of Bob Mizer (1922–1992) and Touko Laaksonen, a.k.a. Tom of Finland (1920–1991), two of the most recognizable figures of 20th century erotic art and forefathers of an emergent postwar gay culture. Organized by Museum of Contemporary Art curator Bennett Simpson and guest cocurator Richard Hawkins, in collaboration with the artists’ respective foundations, the exhibition will feature a selection of Laaksonen’s masterful drawings and collages, alongside Mizer’s photographs, photo-collages, and films, as well as his groundbreaking magazine Physique Pictorial — where drawings by Tom were first published in 1957.
"Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland"
November 2, 2013 – January 26, 2014
MOCA/Pacific Design Center
Bob Mizer, Untitled [Dennis Lavia in Shower with Washcloth], c. 1964. Published with permission of Bob Mizer Foundation.
Click through for more selctions from this exhibit >>
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM