In the Galleries: Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 31 2013 9:35 AM ET
"Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland" is the first American museum exhibition devoted to the work of Bob Mizer (1922–1992) and Touko Laaksonen, a.k.a. Tom of Finland (1920–1991), two of the most recognizable figures of 20th century erotic art and forefathers of an emergent postwar gay culture. Organized by Museum of Contemporary Art curator Bennett Simpson and guest cocurator Richard Hawkins, in collaboration with the artists’ respective foundations, the exhibition will feature a selection of Laaksonen’s masterful drawings and collages, alongside Mizer’s photographs, photo-collages, and films, as well as his groundbreaking magazine Physique Pictorial — where drawings by Tom were first published in 1957.
"Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland"
November 2, 2013 – January 26, 2014
MOCA/Pacific Design Center
Bob Mizer, Untitled [Dennis Lavia in Shower with Washcloth], c. 1964. Published with permission of Bob Mizer Foundation.
Click through for more selctions from this exhibit >>
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM