John Carroll Named Broadway Hero of the Month, Discusses Bullying
BY Jeremy Kinser
February 06 2012 4:46 PM ET
Performer (and Advocate contributor) John Carroll discusses being bullied as a teenager for being considered effeminate and being a member of one of the first gay couples to marry in New York, during an interview after being named Broadway Hero of the Month by website HIVHero.org.
Carroll, who grew up just outside of New York City on Long Island, recalls being bullied so much that he was forced to change high schools. Carroll reveals that when he hears stories of LGBT teens being bullied and committing suicide, he says, "There but for the grace of God go I," and recounts being spit on, having "fag" written on his books and locker, and other students saying they wanted to kill him. Carroll credits going to a performing arts school to study dance with helping him get through the difficult time.
Carroll tells of getting married to his husband last July 24, the first day it was legal in New York. The theater veteran also discusses his work with Broadway Bares and Broadway Cares, two organizations that raise funds for HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention. Carroll shares anecdotes of working on the recent Broadway revival of Follies which closed last month but will open in Los Angeles in May.
Watch the interview below.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 26 min 15 sec ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 48 min 4 sec ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 59 min 58 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 1 hour 12 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 1 hour 28 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 32 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 1 hour 36 min ago