BY Advocate.com Editors
January 22 2010 7:33 PM ET
Enrique Iglesias, John Legend, and Joan Jett are just a few of the newly released, Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Story Behind the Song. Read excerpts from the book by Melissa Etheridge and Christina Aguilera in the following pages.
Melissa Etheridge on "Come to my Window"
I wrote most of this song in a hotel room, which is where I did a lot of my writing once I started touring a lot after my first album. The first three albums did fine. I was being played on radio and had a bit of a following. The hip hop beats were starting around 1990, the time of my third album, I experimented musically with them. So for the fourth album, I was thinking of getting back to my soul – to the roots of rock and roll where I came from.
I was in a relationship at the time that was tumultuous. In my early twenties and thirties I made some poor choices and what you choose is what you get. I was struggling with fidelity, honesty and what it is that makes a relationship.
On the road, as a ‘rock star,’ there’s superficial attention and adulation is thrown at you for a couple of hours – then you’re alone in your room and it’s lonely. I understand why some people turn to drugs.
I started writing in my room (I remember it was nice but can’t remember where it was – Europe or America) after a show. I had a not so good phone call with my partner at the time, where out of loneliness, I sat on the phone, silent:
I would dial the numbers
Just to listen to your breath
Because of all of the attention I was getting, I felt I needed to do something for someone else. I would sacrifice so many things, put myself through so much pain for this relationship:
Just to reach you.
Come to my window
Crawl inside, wait by the light
Of the moon.
Come to my window
I’ll be home soon.
The last line means that I couldn’t connect with her and I was longing to be home.
I don’t care what they think
I don’t care what they say.
What do they know about this
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM