Love, Labels, and YA Literature for Queer Kids: Annameekee Hesik and Jeremy Jordan King Sound Off
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 19 2012 2:00 AM ET
King: So can your book help with getting a girlfriend?
Hesik: Totally! At least, I hope so. Maybe not, but the feedback I'm getting is that Abbey's experiences of coming out and falling for girls is realistic, but not typical; sexy, but also sweet. She's a total dork, so I don't know about the sexy part.
King: But she could get sexy in future installments, right?
Hesik: Oh, Abbey is definitely going to grow up. I mean she's got three more years of high school. A lot can happen in three years.
King: That’s code for sex, right? It’s an interesting challenge for a young adult author to make books appropriate for a traditional YA crowd, but also appealing to everyone.
Hesik: Appropriate — that's going to be tough for me as Abbey gets older. I mean, come on, she's a bona fide "You Know Who Girl" now. But how do I make it "appropriate," yet realistic and not pervy?
King: It’s open for interpretation. A lot of teens are very sex-positive. It’s in their lives so they naturally want to see it reflected in what they read. Basically, let Abbey get some in future books.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM