PHOTOS: Global Male Bonding Through Bodybuilding
BY Christopher Harrity
November 01 2013 3:00 AM ET
In 1964, Dimitry Dimitrievich Zhilinsky (b. 1927) created Gymnasts of the Soviet Union. The tempera on wood painting was meant to showcase the strength, grace, and beauty that the New Soviet Man was capable of attaining. Soviet Life (1956–91) was distributed in North America, and it constantly touted the glories of the socialist system. If every male in Russia looked like these gymnasts, there might have been a lot more defections to the East.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?