Your Queer Guide to Comic-Con
BY Jacob Anderson-Minshall
July 17 2013 3:08 AM ET
Comic-Con International, the annual gathering of fan boys and geek girls, returns this weekend to San Diego. Originally limited to showcasing comic books, science fiction/fantasy and related films and television shows, it has grown into a pop culture extravaganza that also incorporates horror, animation, anime, manga, collectible toys, new TV shows, and video games. And it's not just fans who migrate to the event; it draws some of the world’s most notable actors, artists, authors, producers, and directors.
As evidenced by the convention’s longest running panel, Gays in Comics (now making its 26th appearance; see last year's 25th anniversary below), there has long been a place for LGBT folks at Comic-Con. But this year may just be the queerest yet, with LGBT offerings every day of the convention.
To help you sort through it all, on the following pages is our guide to the best of queer Comic-Con.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Vladimir Putin
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship