The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 06 2010 6:00 AM ET
Boy — The latest from director Auraeus Solito (The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros) is an earnest look into the life of a young middle-class poet who yearns for a glimpse of the raw Philippine underground, which Aires, an exotic dancer and prostitute, helps him explore. While the dialogue is often strained and awkward, the film features inventive cinematography and an incisive commentary on the disparities of gay life in the Philippines.
Date Night — The rom-com gets a dark, After Hours-style makeover with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell as a harried married couple just trying to have a nice night on the town but who become entangled with hardcore criminals instead and at one point take refuge in a gay hookup area. Shirtless Mark Wahlberg and gay faves Mark Ruffalo, Kristen Wiig, and especially James Franco energize the proceedings with amusing cameos.
What's Up, Doc? — The 1972 homage to screwball comedy features Barbra Streisand at her most winning, Ryan O'Neal at his most handsome, and Madeline Kahn at her most hysterical ("I am not a Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!") in this must-see comedy. New to Blu-ray.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- WATCH: Wedding Bells Finally Ring in Kentucky
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed
- 5 Years Later: See Lady Gaga's Meat Dress Now
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet