The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 06 2010 6:00 AM ET
Boy — The latest from director Auraeus Solito (The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros) is an earnest look into the life of a young middle-class poet who yearns for a glimpse of the raw Philippine underground, which Aires, an exotic dancer and prostitute, helps him explore. While the dialogue is often strained and awkward, the film features inventive cinematography and an incisive commentary on the disparities of gay life in the Philippines.
Date Night — The rom-com gets a dark, After Hours-style makeover with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell as a harried married couple just trying to have a nice night on the town but who become entangled with hardcore criminals instead and at one point take refuge in a gay hookup area. Shirtless Mark Wahlberg and gay faves Mark Ruffalo, Kristen Wiig, and especially James Franco energize the proceedings with amusing cameos.
What's Up, Doc? — The 1972 homage to screwball comedy features Barbra Streisand at her most winning, Ryan O'Neal at his most handsome, and Madeline Kahn at her most hysterical ("I am not a Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!") in this must-see comedy. New to Blu-ray.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM