The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 06 2010 5:00 AM ET
Boy — The latest from director Auraeus Solito (The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros) is an earnest look into the life of a young middle-class poet who yearns for a glimpse of the raw Philippine underground, which Aires, an exotic dancer and prostitute, helps him explore. While the dialogue is often strained and awkward, the film features inventive cinematography and an incisive commentary on the disparities of gay life in the Philippines.
Date Night — The rom-com gets a dark, After Hours-style makeover with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell as a harried married couple just trying to have a nice night on the town but who become entangled with hardcore criminals instead and at one point take refuge in a gay hookup area. Shirtless Mark Wahlberg and gay faves Mark Ruffalo, Kristen Wiig, and especially James Franco energize the proceedings with amusing cameos.
What's Up, Doc? — The 1972 homage to screwball comedy features Barbra Streisand at her most winning, Ryan O'Neal at his most handsome, and Madeline Kahn at her most hysterical ("I am not a Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!") in this must-see comedy. New to Blu-ray.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 31 min 59 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 2 hours 31 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM