Rosie remains embattled over Rosie
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2002 12:00 AM ET
The New York Post's Page Six column reports that Gruner + Jahr, the publishing company behind Rosie magazine, wants to separate the magazine from former talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell but fears that she'll accuse the firm of homophobia if they do so. "Those poor bastards at Gruner + Jahr," says an insider quoted by the paper. "Rosie pulled the old bait and switch on them. They thought they were getting Oprah Two. They didn't realize they were getting this woman who was going to retire from network TV and become an activist and a bit of a freak show."
This same source also notes that it's not just O'Donnell's recent coming-out that concerns the publishers. "Once you're no longer on TV all the time as this Broadway-loving all-American mom, what are you? In real life, Rosie's sensibility is more New York, more coastal. It's an interesting experiment, but it won't necessarily go over in the heartland or with advertisers." Spokespersons for Gruner + Jahr and for O'Donnell insist that both parties wish to maintain their professional relationship and are working together toward that goal.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Boy Scouts Timeline
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM