Photographer Herb Ritts's death came after years of battling HIV
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
In an exclusive interview with The Advocate, a close friend of Herb Ritts confirms that the superstar photographer, who died Thursday of complications from pneumonia, was HIV-positive. "He had been very productive for many years living with HIV," says friend Stephen Huvane, a publicist with PMK/HBH. "He had only been in the hospital for a few days before he passed away." Huvane specified, however, that Ritts's death was not directly HIV-related. "Herb was HIV[-positive], but this particular pneumonia was not PCP [pneumocystis pneumonia]. But at the end of the day, his immune system was compromised. He died from complications from pneumonia, but he had been living with HIV for many years." Huvane also noted, "He is one of the kindest men I have ever met; as successful as he was, he was always kind and concerned about his friends."
Ritts, who was featured in an Advocate cover story in 1996, was openly gay long before many of his colleagues in the fashion and art world came out. He told the magazine that after disclosing his sexuality on a 1993 NBC news program, "I got a lot of letters from 15-year-old kids who were from the Midwest, saying, 'It's so great you did that. I was lost. I wanted to kill myself.' These were things I never had to go through. It's not that I'm naive, but when it's not in your realm and you suddenly get one of these letters, you realize how important it is that there be encouragement for gay people."
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM