Malaysia Censors Lady Gaga
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2011 10:20 AM ET
Malaysian radio stations have garbled the lyrics to Lady Gaga’s hit single “Born This Way” in order to prevent listeners’ exposure to “offensive” gay content.
The Associated Press reports on the decision by broadcasters in the Muslim-majority nation, where the Pan Malaysian Islamic Party protested a concert by Adam Lambert last year.
“Malaysians who tune in to popular stations hear edited versions of ‘Born This Way’ that use indecipherable garble to replace the lyrics: ‘No matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered life, I'm on the right track, baby.’”
AMP Radio Networks, the top private radio operator in Malaysia, released a statement to the AP.
"The particular lyrics in 'Born This Way' may be considered as offensive when viewed against Malaysia's social and religious observances,’ the company said in a statement to the Associated Press. ‘The issue of being gay, lesbian or (bisexual) is still considered as a 'taboo' by general Malaysians.’”
Broadcasters can face a fine of up to $16,000 and other penalties for breaking the rules.
Malaysian gay rights activists criticized the decision and suggested that Lady Gaga protest by asking Malaysian radio stations not to play her songs at all.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 1 hour 45 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 21 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 2 hours 23 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 2 hours 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM