Malaysia Censors Lady Gaga
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2011 10:20 AM ET
Malaysian radio stations have garbled the lyrics to Lady Gaga’s hit single “Born This Way” in order to prevent listeners’ exposure to “offensive” gay content.
The Associated Press reports on the decision by broadcasters in the Muslim-majority nation, where the Pan Malaysian Islamic Party protested a concert by Adam Lambert last year.
“Malaysians who tune in to popular stations hear edited versions of ‘Born This Way’ that use indecipherable garble to replace the lyrics: ‘No matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered life, I'm on the right track, baby.’”
AMP Radio Networks, the top private radio operator in Malaysia, released a statement to the AP.
"The particular lyrics in 'Born This Way' may be considered as offensive when viewed against Malaysia's social and religious observances,’ the company said in a statement to the Associated Press. ‘The issue of being gay, lesbian or (bisexual) is still considered as a 'taboo' by general Malaysians.’”
Broadcasters can face a fine of up to $16,000 and other penalties for breaking the rules.
Malaysian gay rights activists criticized the decision and suggested that Lady Gaga protest by asking Malaysian radio stations not to play her songs at all.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: The Voice's Out Contestant Michelle Chamuel Kills on P!nk's "Just Give Me Reason" 2 min 46 sec ago
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 1 hour 7 min ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 10:33 AM
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM