Malaysia Censors Lady Gaga
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2011 9:20 AM ET
Malaysian radio stations have garbled the lyrics to Lady Gaga’s hit single “Born This Way” in order to prevent listeners’ exposure to “offensive” gay content.
The Associated Press reports on the decision by broadcasters in the Muslim-majority nation, where the Pan Malaysian Islamic Party protested a concert by Adam Lambert last year.
“Malaysians who tune in to popular stations hear edited versions of ‘Born This Way’ that use indecipherable garble to replace the lyrics: ‘No matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered life, I'm on the right track, baby.’”
AMP Radio Networks, the top private radio operator in Malaysia, released a statement to the AP.
"The particular lyrics in 'Born This Way' may be considered as offensive when viewed against Malaysia's social and religious observances,’ the company said in a statement to the Associated Press. ‘The issue of being gay, lesbian or (bisexual) is still considered as a 'taboo' by general Malaysians.’”
Broadcasters can face a fine of up to $16,000 and other penalties for breaking the rules.
Malaysian gay rights activists criticized the decision and suggested that Lady Gaga protest by asking Malaysian radio stations not to play her songs at all.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 41 min 29 sec ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 50 min 23 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 1 hour 32 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 2 hours 34 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 2 hours 38 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Business 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index 3:49 PM