Malaysia Censors Lady Gaga
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2011 10:20 AM ET
Malaysian radio stations have garbled the lyrics to Lady Gaga’s hit single “Born This Way” in order to prevent listeners’ exposure to “offensive” gay content.
The Associated Press reports on the decision by broadcasters in the Muslim-majority nation, where the Pan Malaysian Islamic Party protested a concert by Adam Lambert last year.
“Malaysians who tune in to popular stations hear edited versions of ‘Born This Way’ that use indecipherable garble to replace the lyrics: ‘No matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered life, I'm on the right track, baby.’”
AMP Radio Networks, the top private radio operator in Malaysia, released a statement to the AP.
"The particular lyrics in 'Born This Way' may be considered as offensive when viewed against Malaysia's social and religious observances,’ the company said in a statement to the Associated Press. ‘The issue of being gay, lesbian or (bisexual) is still considered as a 'taboo' by general Malaysians.’”
Broadcasters can face a fine of up to $16,000 and other penalties for breaking the rules.
Malaysian gay rights activists criticized the decision and suggested that Lady Gaga protest by asking Malaysian radio stations not to play her songs at all.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 37 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 42 min 10 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 3 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 39 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 45 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1:39 PM