BY Brandon Voss
October 07 2011 3:10 PM ET
7. THEATER: thirtynothing
In his bold and biting new multimedia solo performance, which runs through October 22 at New York’s Dixon Place, Dan Fishback juxtaposes the dawn of the AIDS crisis with his own childhood while exhuming obscure work by late gay artists like Mark Morrisroe, David Wojnarowicz, David B. Feinberg, and Essex Hemphill. The production includes a series of events about the disease’s cultural legacy. For more info visit DanFishback.com.
6. BOOK: Remembering Christmas
The gay ghosts of Christmases past are exorcised in this brisk and sentimental holiday-themed anthology: In Tom Mendicino’s “Away in a Manger,” a snowbound traveler connects with a small-town bartender; in Frank Anthony Polito’s “A Christmas to Remember,” a college guy finds unexpected love back home; and in Michael Salvatore’s “Missed Connections,” old friends reminisce in an airport lounge on Christmas Eve.
5. FILM: The Sons of Tennessee Williams
Out October 7 in limited release, Tim Wolff’s ennobling civil rights documentary about the history of gay carnival balls in New Orleans reveals how, over five decades, krewes of flamboyantly determined “southern bachelors” transformed these targets of antigay criminalization into the most beloved and bedazzled annual events in town. The colorful film culminates with the 40th anniversary ball of the Krewe of Armeinius in 2008.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 1 hour 4 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 2 hours 5 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM