BY Lawrence Ferber
February 06 2009 1:00 AM ET
I think you’d find matches online. Some gays read
Kierkegaard and Dostoyevsky and Miller plays. But they only read them for the jokes!
Can you enjoy other filmmakers' gay-themed films?
Have you watched much queer cinema in recent years? Not really. I don’t really go to the
cinema. I’ve lost my ability to suspend my
disbelief. That comes with making films. There’s one
way of curing a hobby and that’s doing it for a
living. When you’re conscious of the cuts,
people acting, it’s very difficult, almost
impossible. Musician friends of mine can’t go
to concerts. It’s like that. I can’t suspend
my disbelief anymore.
Your films are mostly quite melancholy. Was life on
set as sullen between takes, or was there a jovial mood
when not shooting? I always try to have a laugh. You’ve got
to have a laugh. The people who do the most damage in
the world are those with no sense of humor. We’re
all doing a job we love and getting paid for it and
that’s wonderful, and I do love to have a
laugh. Obviously if you’re doing a serious film, when
you do the takes of course you’re serious, but I do
like to have a lighthearted atmosphere.
If someone goes to Liverpool today, what is the one
thing they must see or do? Go and see the St. Georges Hall. It’s
considered the greatest neoclassical building in the
world. It’s absolutely fabulous. Once a year in
the Great Hall they take up the floor and it’s all
Minton tiles. They’ve got everything there. The
courts the way they were in the 19th century, this
beautiful little concert hall. It’s breathtaking.
And should they try Liverpool’s famed scouse stew? Yes, it’s very good. It was brought over
by the Irish and all it is is a stew. When I was
growing up, if there was no meat to put in it, we called
it blind scouse [because you didn’t see any meat]!
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 3 min 41 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 50 min 20 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 5 min ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 1 hour 7 min ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 1 hour 14 min ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 1 hour 27 min ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM