Brüno 's Over-the-Top Deleted Scene
BY William McGuinness
July 07 2009 11:00 PM ET
Some scenes in Sacha Baron Cohen's Brüno are intended to raise eyebrows and provoke a strong response. But the most shocking scene of all was axed before the film hit theaters.
Spoiler alert: The title character Brüno is a hyper-gay exaggeration who looks for fame in Los Angeles after his excommunication from the fashion world of his native Austria. The search for fame proves as difficult as capturing a spotlight swirling over Hollywood Boulevard, but he does find love in his assistant.
In a cage.
In a cage match.
In a cage match in Arkansas, before an angry crowd that would rather see two men tear each other apart than engage in a gay make-out session. From there, the movie cuts in a different direction, but original versions allegedly included a violent reaction from the crowd that left the two new lovers bloodied and disabled from a wincing gay bash.
The two later announce their marriage in a press conference, but only Brüno speaks. His fiancé looks brain-dead -- drooling on himself in his wheelchair.
The scene is played for laughsâ€¦and got them, Movieline.com reports .
Voicing his discomfort with the original ending, writer-director Richard Day ( Arrested Development, Ellen ) said that others in the audience of a screening he attended back in January defended it. Day and actor Jack Plotnick were the only known gay members of the crowd, the director said.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Marriage Equality Good for New Mexico Kids, Experts Say
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 1 hour 25 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 2 hours 25 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM