Brüno 's Over-the-Top Deleted Scene
BY William McGuinness
July 08 2009 12:00 AM ET
Some scenes in Sacha Baron Cohen's Brüno are intended to raise eyebrows and provoke a strong response. But the most shocking scene of all was axed before the film hit theaters.
Spoiler alert: The title character Brüno is a hyper-gay exaggeration who looks for fame in Los Angeles after his excommunication from the fashion world of his native Austria. The search for fame proves as difficult as capturing a spotlight swirling over Hollywood Boulevard, but he does find love in his assistant.
In a cage.
In a cage match.
In a cage match in Arkansas, before an angry crowd that would rather see two men tear each other apart than engage in a gay make-out session. From there, the movie cuts in a different direction, but original versions allegedly included a violent reaction from the crowd that left the two new lovers bloodied and disabled from a wincing gay bash.
The two later announce their marriage in a press conference, but only Brüno speaks. His fiancé looks brain-dead -- drooling on himself in his wheelchair.
The scene is played for laughsâ€¦and got them, Movieline.com reports .
Voicing his discomfort with the original ending, writer-director Richard Day ( Arrested Development, Ellen ) said that others in the audience of a screening he attended back in January defended it. Day and actor Jack Plotnick were the only known gay members of the crowd, the director said.
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade 1 hour 27 min ago
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM