Curtain Up 2012!
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2012 7:11 PM ET
I Stand Corrected
Surely one of the best documentaries at Outfest this year — and certainly director Andrea Meyerson’s finest — I Stand Corrected gets up close and personal with Jennifer Leitham, the transgender bass player whose unusual technique and extraordinary talent made her one of the most recognizable musicians in the jazz world. But she didn’t spend her entire career as Jennifer; when she began performing decades ago she was known as John Leitham, but after a lifetime of hiding her female identity at home in order to seek musical fame, Leitham couldn’t take it anymore. She risked it all to start living life as the woman she always knew she was, and she found some unlikely allies, including Tonight Show band leader Doc Severinsen, who told her he hired a bass player, not a man or a woman, which gave her permission to be herself. Meyerson met Leitham accidentally but was immediately intrigued by her music more so than her transition. “At that time, all the documentaries I had seen about transgender people were about the transition — the angst, the family, the partner, the doctor visits,” Meyerson recalls. “I loved that Jennifer was living her life as she was meant to and was so positive and happy. I was really taken with her talent as a musician and her beautiful spirit as a person and felt we could really create an uplifting film that would both enlighten and entertain people.” That it does. July 16, 7 p.m., Harmony Gold.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 25 min 4 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 25 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 10 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM