Cook a Big Gay Thanksgiving
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 5:00 AM ET
Ted Allen's Chestnut Stuffing
1 pound fresh chestnuts
8 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs, from crusty bread
4 cups diced cornbread
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 extra-large yellow onion, chopped
1 turkey liver, cleaned and finely chopped
1 cup chicken or turkey stock, preferably homemade or low-sodium store bought
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Note: You can substitute dry-packed bottled chestnuts in a pinch; you'll need 7 ounces. But your house will not smell as good.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Cut an X into the round end of each chestnut, place on a rimmed baking sheet, put in the oven and add 1/4 cup water to the pan. Roast for 10 minutes; the shells should peel back where cut. Remove from the oven, let cool for a minute or two, and then peel while the chestnuts are still warm. Chop coarsely.
Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Spread the bread crumbs on a baking sheet and bake until dry and golden, about 15 minutes. Put in a large bowl with the chestnuts and cornbread.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter, and then add the celery, onions, and chopped liver, and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add to the bowl with the chestnuts.
Stir in the chicken stock, parsley, sage, salt, pepper and eggs. Spoon into a buttered three-quart baking dish and bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, about 30 minutes.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 11 min 22 sec ago
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 31 min 20 sec ago
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 1 hour 48 min ago
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 4:00 AM
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 4:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM