Cook a Big Gay Thanksgiving
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 5:00 AM ET
Ted Allen's Chestnut Stuffing
1 pound fresh chestnuts
8 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs, from crusty bread
4 cups diced cornbread
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 extra-large yellow onion, chopped
1 turkey liver, cleaned and finely chopped
1 cup chicken or turkey stock, preferably homemade or low-sodium store bought
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Note: You can substitute dry-packed bottled chestnuts in a pinch; you'll need 7 ounces. But your house will not smell as good.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Cut an X into the round end of each chestnut, place on a rimmed baking sheet, put in the oven and add 1/4 cup water to the pan. Roast for 10 minutes; the shells should peel back where cut. Remove from the oven, let cool for a minute or two, and then peel while the chestnuts are still warm. Chop coarsely.
Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Spread the bread crumbs on a baking sheet and bake until dry and golden, about 15 minutes. Put in a large bowl with the chestnuts and cornbread.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter, and then add the celery, onions, and chopped liver, and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add to the bowl with the chestnuts.
Stir in the chicken stock, parsley, sage, salt, pepper and eggs. Spoon into a buttered three-quart baking dish and bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, about 30 minutes.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM