Hot Sheet: Smacking James Franco Around Some
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2013 4:42 PM ET
2. CD: Run Fast, the Julie Ruin
Fourteen years ago, legendary riot grrrl pioneer Kathleen Hanna (best known for her place in the bands Bikini Kill and Le Tigre) released a solo album under the name “Julie Ruin” with the intention of forming a band to perform the songs live. When Le Tigre went on hiatus in 2010 the only good thing to come out of it was the formation of Hanna’s dream team band, the Julie Ruin. On Tuesday, when the band releases Run Fast, its debut album, we’ll get to see if Hanna and her bandmates (Bikini Kill’s Kathi Wilcox on bass, Kiki and Herb’s Kenny Mellman on keyboard, actor-filmmaker Carmine Covelli on drums, and Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls’ Sara Landeau on guitar) can bring back the fierce lyrics, whirling guitars, and queer good time that Hanna is known for. Even better: The band is hitting the road, although its shows are already sold out in several key cities (including Los Angeles, New York, and Austin).
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- Patrick Stewart: 'Supporting Gay Rights Is Natural'
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally
- Gallery of Geek: J. Bone
- PHOTOS: The Refined Furniture of a Gay Ellen's Design Challenge Contestant