Hot Sheet: Smacking James Franco Around Some
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2013 5:42 PM ET
2. CD: Run Fast, the Julie Ruin
Fourteen years ago, legendary riot grrrl pioneer Kathleen Hanna (best known for her place in the bands Bikini Kill and Le Tigre) released a solo album under the name “Julie Ruin” with the intention of forming a band to perform the songs live. When Le Tigre went on hiatus in 2010 the only good thing to come out of it was the formation of Hanna’s dream team band, the Julie Ruin. On Tuesday, when the band releases Run Fast, its debut album, we’ll get to see if Hanna and her bandmates (Bikini Kill’s Kathi Wilcox on bass, Kiki and Herb’s Kenny Mellman on keyboard, actor-filmmaker Carmine Covelli on drums, and Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls’ Sara Landeau on guitar) can bring back the fierce lyrics, whirling guitars, and queer good time that Hanna is known for. Even better: The band is hitting the road, although its shows are already sold out in several key cities (including Los Angeles, New York, and Austin).
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- Texas Antigay Group Raising Money to Fight LGBT 'Army'
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility