Hot Sheet: Get Your Stream On
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 01 2013 1:49 PM ET
3. FILM: The New Black
The New Black, an award-winning documentary that examines race and LGBT issues, opens November 1 in Los Angeles. Directed by Yoruba Richen and produced by Yvonne Welbon, the film explores how African Americans are responding to the accelerating LGBT rights movement. In the church, in the street, and at the kitchen table, The New Black takes viewers directly into the conversation of race, politics, and homophobia in America, with especial attention to the campaign to gain marriage equality in the state of Maryland.—Daniel Reynolds
The New Black, which won the Audience Award at AFI Docs, Philadelphia QFest, and the Frameline Film Festival, will screen exclusively at the Laemmle Music Hall Theatre, 9036 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, Calif. Watch the trailer below.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Lost Pink Triangles
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Where Are 1.5 Million Missing Black Men?