GLAAD Announces Best of Media, Including The Advocate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 6:02 AM ET
Today the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Agains Defamation announced nominees for its 2013 Media Awards, which recognize fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBT community in news and entertainment.
"Images and stories from the LGBT community continue to push support for equality to historic levels," said GLAAD president Herndon Graddick in a statement, noting "a new American landscape where a growing majority accept and value their LGBT family, colleagues and friends."
From entertainment, this year's nominees include perennial favorites such as Glee and Modern Family as well as TV newcomers The New Normal and Go On. Film buffs will appreciate GLAAD's first nomination of a PG-rated film in ParaNorman, which also snagged an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature. Powerful AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague will face off against country singer Chely Wright's coming-out biopic, Wish Me Away, for Outstanding Documentary.
"Now more than ever, viewers not only accept gay and transgender characters and plot lines, they expect them — just as they both accept and expect LGBT people to be a valuable part of their everyday lives," Graddick said.
Leading the news business, MSNBC and The Advocate brought in three nominations each. The Advocate and our sibling publication Out are nominated as Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage — a category shared with The New Yorker, People, Seventeen, and New York magazine.
Several individual projects of The Advocate also garnered nominations, including The Advocate 45 series in Outstanding Digital Journalism, and Andrew Harmon's powerful feature about how transgender people are treated in prison, "Eight Months in Solitary," for Outstanding Digital Journalism Article.
The 24th annual GLAAD Media Awards will take place on March 16 in New York City, on April 20 in Los Angeles, and on May 11 in San Francisco.
See all 120 nominees in 25 categories on the next page.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM