ONE Archives Exhibit Highlights Queer L.A. Mags Dating Back to the 1940s
BY Neal Broverman
February 02 2013 2:06 PM ET
A fascinating exhibit opens Saturday night at West Hollywood's ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives Gallery and Museum: "Queers Print," a study of LGBT publishing that emanated from Los Angeles in the mid-century. The exhibition includes issues of The Ladder, ONE, The Lesbian Tide, and The Advocate, which launched 46 years ago. With over 40 different magazines, newspapers, newsletters, and zines, "Queers Print" allows the public to peruse six decades of LGBT history. "Los Angeles's significance as a center for the queer press, as well as more broadly the history of queer activism, is often overlooked in national histories of LGBTQ struggle and it is the intention of this exhibition to raise awareness of this region's importance, specifically in the realm of the history of publishing," Jamie Scot, ONE's project and development manager, said in a statement.
"Queer Print" runs at the ONE gallery, 626 N. Robertson Blvd., West Hollywood, 90069, until March 17. Check out some of the exhibit's covers and issues below.
Vice Versa, Vol. 1, No. 6 (November 1947)
Arguably the first lesbian publication in the country and possibly the world, Vice Versa: America’s Gayest Magazine was produced almost single-handedly by its creator Edith Eyde. Each issue had only twelve copies and were distributed hand-to-hand to ensure safekeeping.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 43 min 19 sec ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 40 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 43 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM