E.J. Johnson on Coming Out and His Supportive Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
April 16 2013 5:07 PM ET
E.J. Johnson, the son of retired NBA player Magic Johnson and Cookie Johnson, said he feels like his recent on-the-street interview with TMZ has led to a sort of second coming-out process.
"I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, since I've been out to my friends and family for five years," Johnson said in an interview with Howard Bragman on his Web series Gwissues. "So it just feels like I'm coming out again."
He also clarified that the guy he was holding hands with on the Sunset Strip is his best friend, not his boyfriend.
Johnson, 20, is studying event design at New York University. With his interests in journalism and media, he said he looks to Ellen DeGeneres, Anderson Cooper, and RuPaul as role models.
Magic Johnson announced that he was HIV-positive in 1991 and retired from the NBA that year. At the time, Cookie Johnson was pregnant with E.J.
"I am very, very, very blessed to have the family that I do," Johnson said. "My parents have always been super supportive. My sister and I have always been really close, and she's been really supportive as with my brother. When it was time to come out, I was obviously scared, as most people are. After I got all the love and support from my family, then I knew I could go out and conquer the world, I guess."
Bragman, a publicist, has also recently started representing Johnson.
Watch the full interview below:
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 48 min 33 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM