E.J. Johnson on Coming Out and His Supportive Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
April 16 2013 6:07 PM ET
E.J. Johnson, the son of retired NBA player Magic Johnson and Cookie Johnson, said he feels like his recent on-the-street interview with TMZ has led to a sort of second coming-out process.
"I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, since I've been out to my friends and family for five years," Johnson said in an interview with Howard Bragman on his Web series Gwissues. "So it just feels like I'm coming out again."
He also clarified that the guy he was holding hands with on the Sunset Strip is his best friend, not his boyfriend.
Johnson, 20, is studying event design at New York University. With his interests in journalism and media, he said he looks to Ellen DeGeneres, Anderson Cooper, and RuPaul as role models.
Magic Johnson announced that he was HIV-positive in 1991 and retired from the NBA that year. At the time, Cookie Johnson was pregnant with E.J.
"I am very, very, very blessed to have the family that I do," Johnson said. "My parents have always been super supportive. My sister and I have always been really close, and she's been really supportive as with my brother. When it was time to come out, I was obviously scared, as most people are. After I got all the love and support from my family, then I knew I could go out and conquer the world, I guess."
Bragman, a publicist, has also recently started representing Johnson.
Watch the full interview below:
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 1 hour 33 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM