E.J. Johnson on Coming Out and His Supportive Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
April 16 2013 6:07 PM ET
E.J. Johnson, the son of retired NBA player Magic Johnson and Cookie Johnson, said he feels like his recent on-the-street interview with TMZ has led to a sort of second coming-out process.
"I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, since I've been out to my friends and family for five years," Johnson said in an interview with Howard Bragman on his Web series Gwissues. "So it just feels like I'm coming out again."
He also clarified that the guy he was holding hands with on the Sunset Strip is his best friend, not his boyfriend.
Johnson, 20, is studying event design at New York University. With his interests in journalism and media, he said he looks to Ellen DeGeneres, Anderson Cooper, and RuPaul as role models.
Magic Johnson announced that he was HIV-positive in 1991 and retired from the NBA that year. At the time, Cookie Johnson was pregnant with E.J.
"I am very, very, very blessed to have the family that I do," Johnson said. "My parents have always been super supportive. My sister and I have always been really close, and she's been really supportive as with my brother. When it was time to come out, I was obviously scared, as most people are. After I got all the love and support from my family, then I knew I could go out and conquer the world, I guess."
Bragman, a publicist, has also recently started representing Johnson.
Watch the full interview below:
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 52 min 17 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 29 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 34 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM