PHOTOS: Canada's Largest Pride
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 08 2013 12:00 PM ET
Toronto's 33rd Pride parade drew hundreds of thousands to the heart of the city in June to wave rainbows flags alongside Canada’s red maple leaf. Marchers walked down the street on stilts, in drag, on Rollerblades, or alongside children, friends, and family members who had come out to support the LGBT community.
A diverse range of groups were represented in the procession down Yonge Street, from red-plumed Trojan men to garlanded firefighters to members of the city’s police force. A large contingent of men, bearing the banner “Foreskin Is Fabulous,” even marched nude down the street, following on the heels of a leather-masked man wielding a whip, a bare-chested woman leading a man on a leash, cast members of MTV Canada’s 1 Girl 5 Gays, and a giant Pfizer balloon advertising Viagra.
Politics also played its part in the proceedings. Ontario’s first openly gay premier, Kathleen Wynne, became the first premier to march in the parade, eliciting cheers and applause from the crowd as she passed. Other political figures were the target of sartorial satire. One marcher wore a pink undergarment printed with the words “Rob Ford’s Pink Slip,” a tongue-in-cheek critique of Toronto’s mayor.
The tone was jubilant, however, as Canada also commemorated the 10th anniversary of its first same-sex marriage and celebrated the historic rulings of the U.S. Supreme Court, which had dominated the front pages of its newspapers only days earlier.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM