The Boy Wonder of Design, Kyle Schuneman, Talks Inspiration
BY Savas Abadsidis
September 27 2012 6:00 AM ET
How did the book come about?
I was having a lot of friends and peers tell me that they wanted their spaces to look like what I was doing for higher-end clients but couldn't afford it, had landlord issues, or were dealing with strange roommates. I really found that it was a fascinating dilemma and wanted to explore that time in your life when you finally have your own space. I wanted to show people that no matter if they lived in a tiny shoebox of an apartment, if they moved in with their boyfriend too soon and now are trying to balance styles, or were having to deal with landlord restrictions, it was their space and they should express themselves in it. People in their 20s and 30s seem to have it down pat how to express themselves with their fashion because they've been doing it all their life, but for most people their first city apartment is their first real space where they can make decisions, and it's intimidating. My hope is that this book gives the confidence to people that the process is anything but scary.
Who inspires you?
I get inspiration from everywhere not just other designers. I have always loved Jonathan Adler for both his fun approach to design as well as business savvy. He is really an example [that] staying true to yourself — no matter how wacky or out there you are — really pays off and people respond to it. I also am really inspired by people like Tom Ford or Frank Gehry. I think both of them have been able to create a branded identity while pushing the boundaries of design and beauty. They do things I never could do, and those are the kind of people that really fascinate me.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 39 min 4 sec ago
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM