BY Advocate Contributors
December 08 2009 5:05 PM ET
Neil Patrick Harris was honored for his work in the LGBT community at the Trevor Project’s 12th annual Cracked Xmas. The fund-raiser, held December 6 at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles, hosted top entertainers — including Harris’s How I Met Your Mother costar Jason Segel — to support the Trevor Project’s LGBTQ youth programs, from the free 24/7 suicide-prevention helpline to education and advocacy efforts.
“Everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, should be able to live their lives proudly as exactly who they are,” said Harris. “I’m hopeful that in accepting this award and in helping to build further awareness of the Trevor Project’s resources, I can in some small way make a difference in the lives of LGBTQ youth.”
Even after his recent onstage duties, the Tony and Emmy host extraordinaire said he was nervous about receiving the Trevor Life Award, which honors someone who is an inspiration to LGBTQ youths.
“I’m not good at these kinds of events,” said Harris. “I’m good being Neil Patrick Harris, the host of the event, but being talked about and having to represent is a much more stressful, daunting task in my mind.”
The Emmy-nominated star has been an advocate for the Trevor Project since its inception more than a decade ago.
“I was friends with [late founder] Randy Stone when he made [the film] Trevor, so I’ve been aware of the Trevor Project for years. I think it’s a really strong valid niche charity that is more important than ever to support,” Harris said. “They don’t get a lot of opportunities to be recognized, and every opportunity that they get to be recognized allows that (866) number to go out and allows 1, 50, 70, 500 people to know about it and to potentially call the number. So for an event like this, it’s great promotion for them and a great acknowledgment to them.”
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 1 hour 6 min ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 1 hour 13 min ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM