The Trouble With Harry
BY Robert Hilferty
April 30 2009 11:00 PM ET
You could have called the play
When Harry Met Rudi.
So they started they Mattachine Society together. That's
another odd word ...
Harry found that medieval word, which refers to
Saturday Night Live
-like comedy troupes that would tour in Italy and France.
Underneath the comedy was a serious political message they were
trying to impart.
So what's the drama?
It's basically this mission-impossible story about Harry and
Rudi trying to start the first gay political party during a
very dangerous time, at the height of the Red Scare. Anyone
could be a cop. In a nutshell, if Harry hadn't come along in
1950, there would never have been a Stonewall. He, Rudi, and
three others -- Bob Hull, Dale Jennings, and Chuck Rowland --
were the founding fathers of the gay movement. The fascinating
thing about these guys is that they were all Communists,
because only Communists would be crazy and political enough to
form this sort of organization. They were literally risking
their lives and reputations to do what they did.
Is there a love angle?
Yes. At the time Rudi was involved with Harry, he was becoming
more and more famous as a costume designer. So he had to decide
if he wanted to go back into the closet in order to pursue [his
career], or stay with the organization. So it's very much a
love story of which he's going to choose. He chose fame. Harry
later started the Radical Faeries.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 31 min 53 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 58 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 23 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 24 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM