Leslie Jordan: My 10 Favorite Drag Songs
BY Advocate Contributors
April 14 2010 2:20 PM ET
Bobbie Gentry: "Ode to Billy Joe" — This was my signature song. I always saved it for last at my nightly concerts. I couldn't even get to the part about "it was the third of June another sleepy dusty delta da-a-ay..." before the audience was on its feet. The real tearjerker part was when I sat on the edge of the stage (my bottom bunk bed) dangling my feet as I threw flowers into "the muddy waters off the Tallahatchie Bridge ... " The emotion was such that many nights I had to be carried off the stage. It was a nightly breakdown from too many pretend pills and too much pretend booze. There was a real tragic story unfolding in my bedroom behind closed doors nightly.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 20 min 29 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 21 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 25 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM