Leslie Jordan: My 10 Favorite Drag Songs
BY Advocate Contributors
April 14 2010 3:20 PM ET
Bobbie Gentry: "Ode to Billy Joe" — This was my signature song. I always saved it for last at my nightly concerts. I couldn't even get to the part about "it was the third of June another sleepy dusty delta da-a-ay..." before the audience was on its feet. The real tearjerker part was when I sat on the edge of the stage (my bottom bunk bed) dangling my feet as I threw flowers into "the muddy waters off the Tallahatchie Bridge ... " The emotion was such that many nights I had to be carried off the stage. It was a nightly breakdown from too many pretend pills and too much pretend booze. There was a real tragic story unfolding in my bedroom behind closed doors nightly.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf