WATCH: Broadway's Solo Strips
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 04 2014 4:00 AM ET
To fight HIV and AIDS, nine choreographed stripteases will soon have audiences throwing money at the cause.
"Solo Strips" represents a return to the roots for Broadway Bares. The well known mega-fundraiser began in 1992 as a benefit burlesque show that included seven pals performing original strips at a bar for a $10 donation, plus tips.
Now one of those men, Jerry Mitchell — who was back then a performer in The Will Rogers Follies and is now a Tony Award-winning director and choreographer — is executive producer of Broadway Bares, which presents Solo Strips on May 11 at the BPM Nightclub in Manhattan. Last year the event brought in more than $13,000 for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.
This year's lineup includes Joshua Michael Brickman (Broadway Bares 23), Joshua Buscher (Big Fish, Broadway Bares 19-21), Anthony Rooar DeCarlis (Broadway Bares 21-23), Todd Hanebrink (Cirque du Soleil’s Zumanity), Vince Oddo (Rocky), Ricky Schroeder (Broadway Bares 22-23), Michael Scirrotto (Broadway Bares 19), Sheldon Tucker (Bring It On: The Musical, Broadway Bares 21-23) and Ryan Worsing (Chicago, Broadway Bares 21, 23).
For more information visit BroadwayBares.com.
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- College Reddit User Turns Arkansas Governor’s Website Into LGBT Forum