City Council E-mail Mocks Gay Businessman
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 02 2011 9:20 AM ET
Bill Hosko, a gay St. Paul, Minn., businessman and political opponent of city council member David Thune (pictured), wants Thune's executive assistant to resign after sending an e-mail that referred to Hosko as “that gay guy.”
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports on the leaked e-mail from the city council chambers.
“In the email, Barb Benson referred to Bill Hosko, a political opponent of Thune's, as ‘the gay guy that always runs [against] Dave for City Council,’” reports the Pioneer Press. “In reference to Hosko’s suggestion to add a statue of the late riverboat captain Bill Bowell to Harriet Island, Benson wrote: ‘Gag. Barf.’”
Hosko said the e-mail reflects an attitude of prejudice in Thune’s office.
“Why would she identify me as ‘that gay guy’? That is derogatory,” he said, according to the Pioneer Press. “What if she had said ‘the black guy’? That would have been derogatory.” He added, “‘The gay guy’ — what does that have to do with anything?”
Hosko plans to run for the Ward 2 seat again. Thune, who said the e-mail does not reflect his attitude, called him to apologize. Benson’s actions are under investigation by the city’s human resources personnel.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 28 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM