City Council E-mail Mocks Gay Businessman
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 02 2011 8:20 AM ET
Bill Hosko, a gay St. Paul, Minn., businessman and political opponent of city council member David Thune (pictured), wants Thune's executive assistant to resign after sending an e-mail that referred to Hosko as “that gay guy.”
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports on the leaked e-mail from the city council chambers.
“In the email, Barb Benson referred to Bill Hosko, a political opponent of Thune's, as ‘the gay guy that always runs [against] Dave for City Council,’” reports the Pioneer Press. “In reference to Hosko’s suggestion to add a statue of the late riverboat captain Bill Bowell to Harriet Island, Benson wrote: ‘Gag. Barf.’”
Hosko said the e-mail reflects an attitude of prejudice in Thune’s office.
“Why would she identify me as ‘that gay guy’? That is derogatory,” he said, according to the Pioneer Press. “What if she had said ‘the black guy’? That would have been derogatory.” He added, “‘The gay guy’ — what does that have to do with anything?”
Hosko plans to run for the Ward 2 seat again. Thune, who said the e-mail does not reflect his attitude, called him to apologize. Benson’s actions are under investigation by the city’s human resources personnel.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW 1 hour 9 min ago
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM