Bill Maher: Chris Christie Is Ruining My State's Reputation
BY Lucas Grindley
February 18 2012 5:05 PM ET
Comedian Bill Maher says that when New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed same-sex marriage on Friday, it took the already bad reputation that his home state has and made it worse.
"It takes away the one thing I had," Maher said, noting that New Jersey is the most commonly made fun of state in the union. "The one thing we had is we are from the sophisticated state of New Jersey from the Northeast. We're not some yokel, car-on-the-lawn state."
Maher and his panel were answering a question on Real Time about whether the governor's veto was "not only dick-ish but also extremely short sighted."
Reporter Erin McPike of RealClearPolitics said the Christie is probably a presidential candidate in 2016 and, "He's doing it for his base."
Former New York governor Eliot Spitzer said Christie's move was "typical" pandering.
Watch the video below. Talk about marriage equality begins at about five minutes and 40 seconds.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 35 min 33 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 2 hours 18 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 2 hours 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 28 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM