Bill Maher: Chris Christie Is Ruining My State's Reputation
BY Lucas Grindley
February 18 2012 4:05 PM ET
Comedian Bill Maher says that when New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed same-sex marriage on Friday, it took the already bad reputation that his home state has and made it worse.
"It takes away the one thing I had," Maher said, noting that New Jersey is the most commonly made fun of state in the union. "The one thing we had is we are from the sophisticated state of New Jersey from the Northeast. We're not some yokel, car-on-the-lawn state."
Maher and his panel were answering a question on Real Time about whether the governor's veto was "not only dick-ish but also extremely short sighted."
Reporter Erin McPike of RealClearPolitics said the Christie is probably a presidential candidate in 2016 and, "He's doing it for his base."
Former New York governor Eliot Spitzer said Christie's move was "typical" pandering.
Watch the video below. Talk about marriage equality begins at about five minutes and 40 seconds.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 38 min 14 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 2 hours 32 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair 12:13 AM