Bill Maher: Chris Christie Is Ruining My State's Reputation
BY Lucas Grindley
February 18 2012 5:05 PM ET
Comedian Bill Maher says that when New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed same-sex marriage on Friday, it took the already bad reputation that his home state has and made it worse.
"It takes away the one thing I had," Maher said, noting that New Jersey is the most commonly made fun of state in the union. "The one thing we had is we are from the sophisticated state of New Jersey from the Northeast. We're not some yokel, car-on-the-lawn state."
Maher and his panel were answering a question on Real Time about whether the governor's veto was "not only dick-ish but also extremely short sighted."
Reporter Erin McPike of RealClearPolitics said the Christie is probably a presidential candidate in 2016 and, "He's doing it for his base."
Former New York governor Eliot Spitzer said Christie's move was "typical" pandering.
Watch the video below. Talk about marriage equality begins at about five minutes and 40 seconds.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM