Bill Maher: Chris Christie Is Ruining My State's Reputation
BY Lucas Grindley
February 18 2012 4:05 PM ET
Comedian Bill Maher says that when New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed same-sex marriage on Friday, it took the already bad reputation that his home state has and made it worse.
"It takes away the one thing I had," Maher said, noting that New Jersey is the most commonly made fun of state in the union. "The one thing we had is we are from the sophisticated state of New Jersey from the Northeast. We're not some yokel, car-on-the-lawn state."
Maher and his panel were answering a question on Real Time about whether the governor's veto was "not only dick-ish but also extremely short sighted."
Reporter Erin McPike of RealClearPolitics said the Christie is probably a presidential candidate in 2016 and, "He's doing it for his base."
Former New York governor Eliot Spitzer said Christie's move was "typical" pandering.
Watch the video below. Talk about marriage equality begins at about five minutes and 40 seconds.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM